Retail Banking and Wealth Management – Greece
To help fight against tax evasion and protect the integrity of tax systems, governments around the world are introducing a new information-gathering and reporting requirement for financial institutions. This is known as the Common Reporting Standard (“the CRS”) and we’d like to help you understand what it means for you.
Under the CRS, we are required to determine where you are “tax resident” (this will usually be where you are liable to pay income or corporate taxes). We will base this on information we have already or we may ask you for additional details.
If you are tax resident outside the country where you bank then we will give the national tax authority this information, along with information relating to your accounts. This may then be shared between different countries’ tax authorities.
What do you need to do?
In order to confirm your status under the CRS, you may be asked to complete the appropriate self-certification form and return it to Messoghion 109-111, PC: 115 26, Athens or to your branch or relationship manager. There are three types of self-certification form for the CRS. The forms are attached below with additional information about which form you should complete.
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Individuals (80KB, PDF): Download PDF: Link opens in a new window: If you are a personal HSBC customer or a Sole Trader or Proprietor, please use this form to confirm your personal status under the CRS.
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Entities (114KB, PDF): Download PDF: Link opens in a new window: If you are a business HSBC customer, please use this form to confirm your business’s status under the CRS (except Sole Traders who should use the self-certification form above).
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Controlling Persons (146KB, PDF): Download PDF: Link opens in a new window: This form is used by the Controlling Persons of certain Entities (referred to under the CRS as Passive Entities) including certain trusts, foundations and certain managed Investment Entities that bank with HSBC and are located in countries that do not participate in the CRS. This form is to be completed by those individuals that control the Entity, either by ownership or control by other means of these types of Entity. A Controlling Person in certain circumstances will be referred to as the Senior Managing Official.
If you are unsure about any of these terms and if they apply to you, please refer to the Glossary.
If you have any questions regarding your tax residency, please refer to the rules governing tax residence that have been published by each national tax authority. If you have any specific questions regarding your tax residency, please contact a professional tax adviser, as we are unable to provide tax advice.
Page last updated January 2016
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Individuals: Download PDF: Link opens in a new window
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Entities: Download PDF: Link opens in a new window
- CRS Self-Certification for use by Controlling Persons: Download PDF: Link opens in a new window
- Frequently asked questions
- Glossary of useful CRS terms